Friday 12 June 2015

Simple Past tense and Past Continuous Tense

Tenses Practice


Today, we have worked on the past simple and progressive tenses and in order for us to master them, we need to further practice. Open this link and answer the worksheet on it, then write down the answers on your blog and finally check your answers. 


TENSES T 9 Past Tense – Simple or Progressive: Fill in the correct form.
 1. George _fell__ off the ladder while he _was painting_ the ceiling. (fall, paint)
2. Last night I _was reading_ in bed when I suddenly _heard a scream. (read, hear)
 3. _Were you watching_ TV when I _phoned_ you? (you watch, phone)
 4. Ann _was waiting_ for me when I _arrived_. (wait, arrive)
5. Maisie _was cleaning_ up the kitchen when John _asked_ her to marry him. (clean, ask)
6. The house _cost_ £ 150,000 in 2003. (cost)
7. The fire _ was still burning_ at six in the morning. (still burn)
 8. My brother _got__ a new job a week ago. (get).
9. Columbus _discovered__ America over 500 years ago. (discover)
10. She _was_ not interested in the book because she _didn’t understand_ it. (be ,not understand)
11. _Were you_ at school yesterday? (you be)
12. We _lived_ in a house near the sea last summer. (live)
13. She _could play_ the piano very well when she _was_ young. (can play, be)
14. She _left_ the office very early last night (leave).
15. I _met_ a friend while I _was doing_ the shopping. (meet, do)
16. I _was paying_ for my things when I _heard_ someone call my name. (pay, hear)
 17. I _turned_ around and _saw_ Judy. (turn, see)
 18. She _was wearing_ a bright yellow dress when I _saw_ her last. (wear, see)
19. We _decided_ to have a cup of tea. (decide)
 20. While the waiter _was picking_ up the pieces of glass he _cut_ his finger. (pick, cut)
 21. Then we _left_ the cafe and _said_ good bye. (leave, say)
22. I _lit_ the fire at six and it _ was still burning_ brightly when Tom came in at seven. (light, still burn)
23. My dog _was walking_ along quietly when Mary’s Pekinese _attacked_ him. (walk, attack)
24. When I _arrived_ she _was having_ lunch. She said she always _had_ lunch at 12:30. (arrive, have, have)
25. What _did you think_ of his last book? –I _liked_ it a lot. (you think, like)
26. He suddenly _realized_ that he _was travelling  in the wrong direction. (realize, travel)
27. He _was playing _guitar when someone _opened_ the window and _threw_  out a bucket of water. (play, open, throw)
28. He _didn’t allow_ us to go out in the boat yesterday because a strong wind _was blowing_ (not allow, blow).
 29. The next day, as they _knew_ that the police _was looking_ for them, they _hid_ the coats in the woods and _went_ off in different directions. (know, look, hide, go)
30. When I _came_ home they _were sitting_ around a fire. Jack _was doing_a crossword puzzle, Judy _was kiting_ and the others _were reading_ . Mother _smiled_ at me and said : “ Come and sit down” (come, sit, do, knit, read, smile)

TENSES T 9 Past Tense – Simple or Progressive: Fill in the correct form.
1. George fell off the ladder while he was painting the ceiling. (fall, paint)
2. Last night I was reading in bed when I suddenly heard a scream. (read, hear)
3. Were you watching TV when I phoned you? (watch, phone)
4. Ann was waiting for me when I arrived. (wait, arrive)
5. Maisie was cleaning up the kitchen when John asked her to marry him. (clean, ask)
6. The house cost £ 150,000 in 2003. (cost)
7. The fire was still burning at six in the morning. (still burn)
8. My brother got a new job a week ago (get).
9. Columbus discovered America over 500 years ago (discover)
10. She was not interested in the book because she did not understand it (be ,not understand)
11. Were you at school yesterday? (you be)
12. We lived in a house near the sea last summer (live)
 13. She could play the piano very well when she was young (can play, be)
14. She left the office very early last night (leave).
15. I met a friend while I was doing the shopping (meet, do)
16. I was paying for my things when I heard someone call my name (pay, hear)
17. I turned around and saw Judy. (turn, see)
18. She was wearing a bright yellow dress when I saw her last (wear, see)
19. We decided to have a cup of tea. (decide)
20. While the waiter was picking up the pieces of glass he cut his finger (pick, cut)
21. Then we left the cafe and said good bye (leave, say)
22. I lit the fire at six and it was still burning brightly when Tom came in at seven. (light, burn)
23. My dog was walking along quietly when Mary’s Pekinese attacked him. (walk, attack)
24. When I arrived she was having lunch. She said she always had lunch at 12:30. (arrive, have, have)
25. What do you think of his last book? –I liked it a lot (think, like)
26. He suddenly realized that he was travelling in the wrong direction. (realize, travel)
27. He was playing guitar when someone opened the window and threw out a bucket of water. (play, open, throw)
28. He did not allow us to go out in the boat yesterday because a strong wind was blowing (not allow, blow)
29. The next day, as they knew that the police were looking for them, they hid the coats in the woods and went off in different directions. (know, look, hide, go)

30. When I came home they were all sitting around a fire. Jack was doing a crossword puzzle, Judy was knitting and the others were reading. Mother smiled at me and said : “ Come and sit down” (come, sit, do, knit, read, smile)

3 comments: